Today was a very productive day. Not only did I help with a fair amount of yardwork, but I finished two major MYOG projects.
The first—a tarp. I’m quite proud of this one. I made quite a few mistakes, but I learned even more. This is the first thing I have sewn—pretty much ever, but I’m really happy with how it turned out. More than that, I’m already excited to try my hand at other sewing projects (I have a pack drawn up already). The silnylon is from DIY Gear Supply—the grey is somewhat cheery underneath, and the tarp is large enough to give me lots of coverage as I learn to use it well. I’m really looking forward to its freedom and openness.
The second—a bivy which Miriam sewed up for me as a belated Valentine’s Day gift. She actually finished it about three weeks ago, but the zipper kept getting stuck in the top fabric, so I added a line of stitching along the zipper this morning. It worked out just right too—I ran out of thread just as I finished reinforcing a couple of seams. The top is Momentum 90 and the bottom Shield Silnylon—both from Thru-Hiker.
The total weight of the bivy came out to 6.70 ounces (or 190 grams). The tarp came out to 11.04 ounces (313 grams) without seam-sealing or guylines—a pretty useless weight as both are essential for the field. I’ll update once the silicone dries.
I am planning an overnight trip for Monday and Tuesday, and I’d like to use these instead of the Rainbow. No matter what, it has been a good day.
UPDATE: After leaving the tarp set up in the yard, I realized that the apex points needed some reinforcement. So, I sewed a patch of Dyneema X Gridstop in each apex then seam-sealed the tarp. All told, with the added material, guylines, and seam-sealing, it weighs 12.49 ounces (or 354 grams).