I bought five yards of silicone-impregnated nylon in January to make a tarp patterned after Jay Ham’s BPL article, 5 Yards to SUL. Since then, I have contracted pneumonia, started another round of graduate school, and begun substitute teaching and job searching. I have plenty of reasons for delaying this first MYOG (make your own gear) project—not least, learning to sew—, but I have even more excuses for my dawdling.
But this week—no more! Last night, I finished a mock-up of the tarp with some cheap nylon (giving me ample time to learn and practice some basic sewing skills), and I am proud to say that my stitches are getting straighter. There’s a reason for no macro shots of the seams, there is some pretty abysmal stitching in there. Now that I have made and corrected ample mistakes on the prototype, I am ready for the real thing.
More will be coming soon. If I finish it in time, I hope to test it out this weekend.